Thursday, February 21, 2013

Authentic Mexican Food

I can say with confidence that nothing I ate my entire time in Mexico remotely resembled the food served in Americanized Mexican restaurants back home. It's amazing how basic staples like cornflour, beans, meat, and a few common vegetables can be made into an infinite number of dishes. Although I wasn't sure at first, I've been fully converted that Mexican food just might be one of the best in the world. I thought I'd share a few of the more memorable dishes that I had the pleasure of trying during my time there.



Tostadas with the simple toppings of refried beans,
lettuce, and fresh green salsa. I had these almost every
morning for breakfast. 

Filet of fish Veracruz style with a red chili sauce and carmelized
onions and bell peppers. Served  with a side of plantains.

Sopes are like fluffy tortillas stuffed with refried beans and
topped with chicken, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, and
pickled onions.

Mexican-style pulled pork sandwich with plenty of
hot sauce and fresh lime.



Memelitas are cheap and found just about everywhere. Here
they are half green salsa, half red and topped with chicken
and a crumbled white cheese.

Tamales come in an array of amazing flavors. Here there is a
traditional chicken tamale in a corn husk and another filled
with dark Oaxacan mole sauce and steamed in a banana leaf.

Chilaquiles, a traditional breakfast made from leftover tortillas
fried up  and then smothered with chicken,  onions, and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment